Bibliographic Info: Jenkins, A. J. (writer/performer) 10 Little Numbers A.J. Jenkins/KidsTV123 (2009) Format: Children’s Music Video, MP3 and video downloads Platform: YouTube Channel: KidsTV123 Interest Level: baby, toddler Genre: Educational Children’s Music Video Themes: Numbers and Counting, Phonological Awareness, Sing-alongs
10 Little Numbers was given the StorytimeWOW Marquee Seal on April 1st, 2015 and has been selected for the MusicVideoWOW collection. Read the Storytime section below for details on why it was selected.
Summary: 10 Little Numbers helps children, toddlers and babies learn to recognize the characters, names and spelling of numbers both vocally (by singing along) and visually (through text and artwork). It also teaches young children to count forwards and backwards to and from ten.
Review: This educationally focused video is designed to help children learn the names and spelling of numbers. The first rule of storytime (and storytimeWOW.com) is to choose materials that make reading and learning fun (not didactic). For this reason, it would appear that 10 Little Numbers is more appropriate as a teacher’s lesson-plan element than a storytime stretch. However, this video is both fun and it achieves the STEM learning/ Common Core objective to focus on cultivating children’s core knowledge of numbers. Common Core urges the use of number-themed books, songs, and elements that provide young children with a solid foundation in whole numbers, addition, and subtraction. This video also invites children to participate in an engaging sing-along activity. Despite the rudimentary animation that characterizes KidsTV123 videos, this children’s music video is a winner.
Storytime: In a storytime context, 10 Little Numbers could benefit from a short setup. Count to ten with children both forwards and backwards before you play the video.
Significance: 10 Little Numbers has received more than 82,519,057 hits on YouTube!
1. This video cultivates the following Pre-Reading Skills (see full list of pre-reading skills here):
- Knowing the names of things (vocabulary)
- Knowing that letters and numbers are different from each other, knowing their names and sounds, and recognizing them (letter and number knowledge)
- Being able to hear and play with smaller sounds in words (phonological awareness)
2. This video provides opportunities to utilize the Early Literacy-building Parent Practices (see full list of parent practices here):
- Singing helps children learn new words and vocalize
3. This video follows these Common Core Guidelines (see full list here):
- Focus on cultivating children’s core knowledge of numbers through number-themed books, songs, and elements that provide young children with a solid foundation in whole numbers, addition, and subtraction.
- For all materials, whether they be traditional (like picture books, sing-alongs and felt board stories) or new media (like eBooks or apps), maintain a 50/50 balance between fiction and non-fiction (informational-focused) content.
- Integrate more new media materials and technology. Cultivate media literacy by modeling media literacy behaviors.
- Create a more participatory culture in group programs and classroom settings. Use materials that invite participation and keep learners engaged.
4. This video fosters the following Kindergarten Readiness skills from the Kindergarten Readiness Checklist developed by Peggy Gisler, Ed.S. and Marge Eberts, Ed.S. Children ready for kindergarten are able to:
- Pay attention for short periods of time to adult-directed tasks
- Speak understandably
- Identify the beginning sound of some words
- Identify some alphabet letters and numbers
- Recognize some common sight words
- Recognize groups of one, two, three, four, and five objects
- Count to ten
Why I Chose to Review this Video: I chose to include this material because it teaches number knowledge. Storytime could use more number-focused content.
Make Reading More Fun
Written by Tom Schween, founder of storytimeWOW!