Bibliographic Info: Archambault, J. & Martin Jr., Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Little Simon 36pp. $7.99 Formats: Hardcover (1989) ISBN: 978-1442450707, Paperback, Board Book, Kindle, iBook, Audio CD Reading Level: 1.9 Interest Level: K-2 Genre: Alphabet Book, Rhyming Story Major Themes: Alphabet Recognition
Summary: This classic story song in eBook format makes a wondeful activity for digital storytime. All 26 letter characters in this rhyming story climb the coconut tree until it begins to bend under all the weight. When all the little letters end up in a pile, adults come running.
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom was selected for the PictureBookWOW, Picture eBookWOW and MusicVideoWOW collections at storytimeWOW.com.
Review: This upbeat rhyming story ingeniously casts all the lowercase letters of the alphabet as playful kids (and the uppercase versions as their parents). The kids race each other up the coconut tree, but “will there be enough room?” Kids will be delighted by the letter’s mischievous antics, the bouncy rhymes, the inviting repetition, and the personification of little and big letters. This catchy chant features a rainbow of brightly colored letters that look like refrigerator magnets. Lois Ehlert’s illustrations show the vibrant green palm bending more and more as the pages turn. The original text introduces the 26 uppercase “mamas and papas and uncles and aunts.”
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Music Video
- Children’s Choices, 1990; International Reading Association
- Children’s Catalog, Eighteenth Edition, 2001; H.W. Wilson
- Teachers’ Top 100 Books for Children; National Education Association (based on 2007 online poll)
- Top 100 Picture Books; School Library Journal (based on 2012 poll)
- Kentucky Bluegrass Award Winner 1991 Grades K-3 Kentucky
- Parents’ Choice Award (Gold 2003, Best 25 Books in 25 Years United States)
I chose to review this singable eBook to add dimension to the digital collections in this materials database.
Written by Tom Schween, founder of storytimeWOW!