Bibliographic Info: Brown, Warren & Goddard, Adam Happy, from Big Block Singsong Disney Junior (2013) Format: Children’s Music Video, DVD, CD Platform: YouTube, artist’s website Channel: Disney Junior Official on YouTube Interest Level: children under 10 Genre: children’s short format TV series Themes: Feelings, Emotional Development, Sing-alongs and Musical Stories, Positive Thinking
Happy, from Big Block Singsong was given StorytimeWOW’s Marquee Seal on March 20th, 2015 and has been selected for the MusicVideoWOW collection. Read the Storytime section below for details on why it was selected.
Summary: In this children’s music video, Big Block Singsong (the enjoyable animated musical series) gives watchers and listeners “so many reasons to be happy.” Sing and dance along to this fun and memorable song with a colorful mix of block-like characters.
Review: Get ready for an infectious ditty, feel good lyrics and likeable wit. Brown and Goddard create entertaining musical shorts with unique characters for their Big Block Singsong series. Happy is one of the best of the bunch. This animated sing-along also offers a singable chorus and appealing characters.
Happy, from Big Block Singsong meets the StorytimeWOW Standards for Music Videos. This video:
- has universal appeal (it’s a big loveable video)
- has that “WOW” factor (it’s enjoyable for groups of children)
- is well-suited for repetition (it can be played as a regular element during storytimes)
- provides viewers with a happy takeaway
- is free of squirmy moments (this sing-along is highly engaging)
- hits the storytime target audience’s interest level (young children)
- includes participation or lends itself to group interaction (teach kids the chorus and add storytimeWOW’s suggested movement layer)
Bibliotherapeutic Usefulness: This sing-along can be used to lift droopy spirits during storytime. Naming and expressing feelings is a key cognitive development experience for kids during their preschool years, so always encourage children to talk about their feelings.
Early Childhood Education and Development: The following lists the stand-out benefits of Happy across various early childhood education (ECE) and child development checklists.
- Knowing the names of things (vocabulary)
- Being able to hear and play with smaller sounds in words (phonological awareness)
2. This video provides opportunities for caregivers to utilize the early literacy-building Parent Practices (see full list of parent practices here):
- Singing helps children learn new words and vocalize.
3. This video follows Common Core Guidelines (see full list here):
- Integrate more new media materials and technology. Cultivate media literacy by modeling media literacy behaviors.
- Create a more participatory culture in group programs and classroom settings. Use materials that invite participation and keep learners engaged.
Why I Chose to Review this Video: Curating a collection of storytime videos is a really cool project. It’s something I have been thinking about for over a decade! I am thrilled to have the opportunity to make it happen as part of my grad school program at SJSU. This Big Block Singsong video feels like it was made for storytime. By teaching the lyrics and adding some movements, the piece will make a great beginning or ending song.
Make Reading More Fun
Written by Tom Schween, founder of storytimeWOW!