Bibliographic Info: Wee Sing & Learn ABC Cupcake Digital/Wee Sing/Penguin (2014) Format: App, Music Video Interest Level: kids ages 2 to 6 Genre: Sing-along Themes: ABCs, Animals, Musical Instruments
Summary: Wee Sing & Learn ABC combines the ABCs with original music, animated animals and musical instruments. The app also includes a singable version of the ABC Song in video form that includes onscreen lyrics.
Review: Wee Sing & Learn ABC is an app that functions as a tool for teaching letter knowledge to young children. There are two useful pieces of this app for storytime. The first is a singable version of the ABC song. Onscreen letters and lyrics are visually highlighted to encourage audiences to sing along. The short and sweet video works as an open or transition during storytime. The second useful piece of this app for storytime, letter-focused interactive “pages”, are accessed by tapping “read to myself” or “explore animals” on the main menu. This feature provides viewers with a menu of letter-themed pages for the entire alphabet. Each page spotlights one letter and features both an animal and musical instrument that begins with that letter. The pages also include various sounds and pictures that begin with the page’s letter. This app’s visuals are colorful and easy to comprehend. However, the audio of the animal sounds is a bit muddy.
Storytime: Use this app’s sing along ABC Song and Music Video as a storytime open or transition. Check out the music video below (it’s accessible from within the app or on YouTube). Each letter-themed page can function as a storytime “letter of the day”. For example, using your iPad and AppleTV, bring up one of these pages on your big screen and create an echo game saying:
“Today’s storytime is brought to you by the letter… G. Can you make the sound g-g-g? Repeat after me… gladys… the goose… plays the gong.”
1. Wee Sing & Learn ABC provides parents with opportunities to use the following Early Literacy-Building Parent Practices (see full list of parent practices here):
- Playing is a primary way in which children learn language (and this book is very playful).
- Singing together is a fun bonding experience with your child. Musical experiences cultivate brain development and teach children concepts such as steady beat, rhythm and tempo.
2. Wee Sing & Learn ABC supports the following Common Core Guidelines (see full list here):
- Add information-focused content and materials that broaden knowledge of the real world.
- Integrate new media materials and technology in classroom settings. Cultivate media literacy behaviors through modeling.
- Create a more participatory culture in group programs and classroom settings. Use materials that invite participation and keep learners engaged.
- Play-alikes: Wee Sing & Learn 123, ABC Phonix Song from KidsTV123
- Awards: Parents Choice Approved (Spring 2015 Mobile Apps)
- Links: website, YouTube
- Reviews: Parent’s Choice, Appysmarts (see before you buy), iStorytime Wee Sing & Learn ABC Video Review, iStorytime Wee Sing & Learn 123 Video Review
Written by Tom Schween, founder of storytimeWOW!