Picture eBookWOW is a curated collection of recommended children’s picture eBooks for use in new media library storytimes, classrooms, etc… The collection is intended as a resource for children’s librarians, teachers, parents and caregivers. Each post is a recommendation that includes why an eBook was selected.
The StorytimeWOW Standards: The materials selected for this collection meet The StorytimeWOW Standards (SWS) which are described here.
The StorytimeWOW Marquee Seal indicates that a picture book, eBook, app, or children’s music video meets the SWS and has been selected for one or more of the four collections on this website: PictureBookWOW (the traditional printed picture book format), Picture eBookWOW, AppWOW, or Music VideoWOW.
Post Formatting: The format for material recommendation posts is as follows:
- Bibliographic Information (including formats, price, reading and interest level, genre, and themes)
- Summary – a summary of the story
- The StorytimeWOW Factor – why it was selected in relation to the SWS
- Early Childhood Education and Development – how the book/eBook cultivates ECE and development
- Bibliotherapeutic Usefulness
- Significance (if applicable)
- Read-alikes, Links, Awards and Other Reviews
- Why I chose to review the book/eBook
Early Childhood Education and Development Topics: Each recommendation also describes how the material cultivates early childhood education and development. Analysis includes topics like:
- The Six Pre-Reading Skills taught at your local library (click here)
- The Five Early-Literacy Parent Practices from Every Child Ready to Read® at your library (click here)
- The Kindergarten Readiness Checklist at FamilyEducation.com (click here)
- Guidelines for a Common Core-focused Storytime (click here)
- Key Experiences for Cognitive Development during the Preschool Years from the High Scope Cognitive Preschool Curriculum (click here)
- The Four Purposes of Preschool Storytime from the Oakland Public Library’s Books for Wider Horizon (click here)
- Children’s Learning Styles from Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligences (click here)
Written by Tom Schween, founder of storytimeWOW!